Youth MP 2022
Applications are now open for the 2022 Tauranga Electorate Youth MP
This is the tenth Youth Parliament, and I invite you to apply to represent the Tauranga Electorate as my Youth MP.
The Youth Parliament programme provides an opportunity for us to hear from young people from around New Zealand on what is important to them. It's also a great opportunity for Youth MP's to work on topics and issues they are passionate about.
If successful, you will need to be able to manage the time commitment of being my Youth MP from 1 March to 31 August 2022.
Applications close on 10 November 2021 and I will announce the winner on the 16th of November.
Please scroll down to apply or read further about the process here.
Youth Parliament provides young people an opportunity to participate in the parliamentary process.
You’ll travel to Wellington, with all expenses paid by the Ministry of Youth Development. During the event, Youth MPs will experience all aspects of Parliament including:
- Question time: Youth MPs will ask questions of Ministers
- Select Committees: Youth MPs will break into subject select committees and their reports will be tabled in the House
- General debate: Youth MPs can discuss issues they feel passionate about
- Legislative process - debate and vote: Youth MPs will consider the Youth Parliament 2022 mock Bill and participate in a conscience vote
- Parties: caucus sessions Youth MPs will be arranged into parties, to provide them a chance to discuss how conscience votes are made by caucuses
To be considered for the role of Youth MP for Tauranga you need to be:
- 16 to 18 years of age (inclusive) on 12 November 2021
- live in and attend a school or an education facility in the Tauranga Electorate
- able to manage the time commitment from 1 March 2022 to 31 August 2022
- be interested in issues affecting young people, politics and/or social change
- be able to attend Youth Parliament 19 - 20 July 2022
How to Enter Please submit a link by email to your video:
Shoot a 3 minute video introducing yourself, telling me what you're passionate about and what you would advocate for in Youth Parliament and why I should select you. Simple!
Don't forget to include your contact details in the email.
We recommend Youtube but other platforms (except for Tiktok) will be acceptable.
Other Youth Parliament Opportunities
In addition to the 120 Youth MPs, there are also 20 positions for Youth Press Gallery members, and one Youth Clerk role. Applications for these roles must be submitted via the Youth Parliament section of the New Zealand Parliament website.
Do you like this page?